The secret to good gut health and anti-aging… Bone Broth! This liquid gold is PACKED with nutrients and amino acids like collagen!
My fave bone broth and collagen benefits are…
1) Insulin Regulation
Fasting is great for improving anti-aging markers like insulin regulation. However, fasting can cause energy crashes throughout the day. Fasting programs are much more effective when I tell patients to swap AM coffee for AM bone broth. No sugar and no caffeine… only essential minerals that your adrenals, immune system and and liver will love.
2) Sealing Leaky Gut
Bone broth increases absorption of minerals and hydrates your body whereas coffee does the complete opposite. Patients on my Gut Restore Program are prescribed bone broth as a part of their morning routines. Good gut is essential for mood, hormones and clear skin.
3) Lubricating Joints
If you experience joint pain or have a recent injury, bone broth can help. Bone broth protects the cartilage and collagen coating of joints for smooth movement. Bone broth contains minerals that aid in bone formation to prevent osteoporosis.
4) Youthful Skin
Increasing collagen can reduce the appearance of fine lines, acne and cellulite by plumping up the dermis. As we age, the percentage of collagen in our tissues decline. Clinical studies show that participants found amelioration to skin tone after 6 weeks of collagen supplementation.
Dr. Jamie Lyn’s Secret Ingredient:
In order for the body to actually use collagen, you need Vitamin C. This is why I add Goji berries, which are high in Vitamin C, to my broth. Goji berries are also considered “blood builders” in Traditional Chinese Medicine and help boost energy and circulation.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 1 lb raw bones (I prefer beef bones for a higher iron content)
- I get mine free from the local butcher
- 3 tbls apple cider vinegar
- Distilled water
- 2 yellow onions
- 3 carrots
- 6 stalks of celery
- 1 small handful of goji berries
- 2 knuckles of fresh turmeric or ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tbls whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 1 full handful of parsley
HOW I MAKE IT:
- Roast the bones on a cooking pan for 30 minutes at 350.
- Place roasted bones in a crockpot and pour over cool filtered water to almost fill pot.
- Add apple cider vinegar and let the soak for a bit. This is an important step because the acidity helps leach out important nutrients from the bones.
- Turn on crockpot to low heat.
- Rinse, peel and chop all the veggies. Add all the ingredients to the pot EXCEPT for garlic and parsley.
- Let the broth simmer with the lid on for 12-18 hours.
- In the last 1-2 hours of simmer, add parsley and chopped garlic cloves.
- Strain the glittery gold broth into glass jars (some for the fridge to eat within the week and some for the freezer to drink over the month.)
- IMPORTANT** When you open the jars from the fridge there will be a thin layer of solidified fat floating on the top. Spoon out this layer and discard before heating up the broth.
- Look and feel amazing with your liquid gold!