Traditional meals and family time during the holidays are the best. However, I’m always left feeling super bloated from desserts like the generic apple or pumpkin pie. I wanted to make a classic dessert that tasted as delicious but actually made me feel good afterwards. This recipe for Apple Crumble is perfect for the fall/winter holidays or simply when you are craving comfort food. It is gluten-free, sugar-free and can be made dairy-free. It was such a hit this year that I just had to share with you all. Enjoy!
- 1/3 cups of lemon juice
- 1 cup Brown Sugar Swerve
- 8 drops liquid stevia
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 6 cups of peeled, cored, and chopped Granny Smith or Honeycrisp apples (about 4-6 apples)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tbls ground flax
- 2 tbls Brown Sugar Swerve
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 tbls grass-fed unsalted butter or butter alternative
- 1 large egg
- 4 tbls chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large saucepan over low-medium heat, cook the apple filling for 10 mins, covered and stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and cook the apple filling for another 10 mins, stirring frequently.
- Transfer the apple filling layer to the bottom of a casserole dish (I used a 7×11 sized dish but also doubled the ingredients in this recipe)
- In a separate bowl, roughly mix the crumble blend with a fork.
- Transfer this mix on top of the apple filling layer in the casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 mins, serve warm or room temperature.