Biting into these brought me back to a similar treat I had from a bakery in the South of France a few years ago. I am currently on week 5 of quarantine lockdown due to COVID-19 so I loved that a muffin could take me back to a travel memory! They are super light and full of fresh flavour. I tried to adapt a few recipes into one that was as healthy as possible but still a yummy treat. And to think, it all started from a bowl of raspberries that were going soggy! Oh and PS… coconut butter glaze is probably my new favourite thing ever.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or almond flour
- 3/4 cups coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted/cooled slightly
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
Coconut Butter Glaze (optional):
- 3 drops of lemon extract or high grade lemon essential oil
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (I buy it in the store but you can make by blending shredded unsweetened coconut in a food processor for a few minutes)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp melted/slightly cooled coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp coconut or almond milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F & line muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Mix the top 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the almond milk and lemon juice together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the almond milk/lemon juice mixture into the medium bowl.
- Slowly stir in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients bowl. Be careful not to over mix.
- Gently stir in the raspberries.
- With an ice cream scooper, add the batter into the muffin trays. Fill 3/4 full.
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then bring the temperature down to 375 degrees F for an additional 12 minutes or so until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, blend together the ingredients of the coconut butter. Pour the glaze into a plastic Ziploc bag.
- Cool muffins for 30 minutes and chill the bag of glaze in the fridge.
- When the muffins are completely cool, cut a tiny corner of the Ziploc bag. Drizzle the glaze over each muffin.
Let me know what you think of the recipe!