This is basically my version of a bulletproof (keto) coffee with medicinal mushroom twist. I drink this most mornings before I run to work and it keeps me full, energetic and happy until my late breakfast. It’s full of healthy fats, which serve as building blocks for hormones. There is no sugar so it won’t spike your insulin levels and the healthy fat balances out caffeine to avoid that midday crash.
Medicinal mushrooms generally just bring your body back into balance! They regulate the immune system, adrenal glands, skin and brain. Here are my favourite mushrooms that made it into my recipe:
This mushroom is about to take over the wellness and beauty industry in North America! Tremella is well known in Korea and Japan for it’s skin plumping and hydrating effect. This mushroom is packed with anti-aging antioxidants and Vitamin D. New studies show that tremella intake helps decrease appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
This mushroom supports the immune system and has anti-cancer effects on the body. It helps decrease anxiety and stabilizes blood sugar levels (hello, my PCOS patients!). New studies in dermatology show it helps reduce the appearance of dark spots caused by UV damage.
Another heroic mushroom that is proven effective to help heal inflammatory acne. If you have that red/angry type of breakouts, try reishi! I’ve also noticed that reishi has a nice calming effect making it perfect to add to the start of a crazy day.
This mushroom is known for boosting brain function. Lion’s mane increases memory, mental clarity and motivation! This mushroom is becoming famous in the biohacking world as a ‘nootropic’, which means it is anti-aging for the brain.
My Mushroom Glow-Up Coffee RECIPE:
- Brew organic coffee (I use Kicking Horse Half Ass) or start up your Nespresso
- In a blender (Best one is the Vitamix) add:
– 1 scoop of Four Sigmatics Mushroom Blend (this has chaga, reishi and lion’s mane mixed together).
– 1/4 tsp of Organika GLOW Tremella Powder
– A few shakes of Ceylon Cinnamon
- Now I add either a big scoop of Collagen Powder or Designs For Health Keto-360 Powder with collagen (new medical brand product, place order with me if you are a current patient).
- Add a few drops of Stevia (I use a vanilla flavoured one) or 1 tsp of Swerve.
- Add a large scoop of almond butter (my favourite brand is linked here).
- Add 1/2 tsp of Ghee or MCT oil
- Add coffee to all the ingredients in the blender.
- Blend until creamy and frothy.
- Serve and enjoy that glow up!